This project consisted of decommissioning the Pan Dam which was originally built in the 1800’s. The first part of the decommissioning was to remove and place the sediment that had filled in the dam over the years. EMC moved a total of 20,000 CY of sediment and placed it back on the existing slopes. The next phase was removed the center portion of the existing dam creating an avenue for water to pass through the dam. The final part of the decommissioning involved permanent sediment and stormwater measures which included: multiple check dams, 70 CY of concrete slabs, 175 CY of grouted rip rap, 80 SY of shotcrete, 500 CY of gabion mattresses, 5300 SY of geo-textile fabric and 8 acres of site revegetation.
The remoteness of this project, site access and some large weather events during construction were some of the obstacles EMC faced, but overcame to meet our schedule. EMC’s scheduling and planning was a key factor in dealing and managing these challenges.